(Note: these questions are not intended to be a programmatic “list” or prescribed set/order. Browse through the questions to get some ideas of what topics to cover, then pick the ones that you feel are most in line with your own leadership style.)
Purpose/passion or “life” type questions:
- What are you passionate about?
- What’s your dream job?
- What motivates (or demotivates) you?
- If you won the lottery and didn’t have to work, what would you do? What would you miss about working here?
- What did you love in your last position that you’re not doing now?
- What do you think about on your way to work?
- Do you feel that you are part of a bigger vision and mission? Why or why not?
- Do you believe that your work has meaning?
- Do you respect the amount and kind of leadership that you receive from the senior managers?
2. Current Work Situation
‘Satisfaction’ and ‘Annoyances’:
- If you had a magic wand, what would be the one thing you would change about your work, your role and your responsibilities?
- If you changed your role completely, what would you miss the most?
- What things would you like to change about your team or department?
- How happy are you working here on a scale of 1-10 with 10 representing the most happy?
- What would have to happen for that number to become a 10?
- What contributes the most to your job satisfaction? What would make your job more satisfying?
- What talents are not being used in your current role?
- What would you like to learn here?
- Have you ever thought about leaving the company? If so, what caused you to consider leaving? Why did you decide to stay?
- Have you actively job searched in the past year? Why were you thinking of leaving?
- Do you feel that you have the necessary control over your job to perform most successfully and productively?
- What things would you like to start or stop doing?
- Do you have suggestions about how we can improve as an organization?
|What about your job makes you want jump out of bed and come to work?||What about your job makes you want to hit the snooze button?|
|What makes for a great day at work?||What’s bothering you most about your job?|
|What do you like most about working here?
What do you look forward to when you come to work each day?
|What do you like least about working here?|
|What keeps you working here?||What might tempt you to leave?|
|What do you like most about working in our organization?||What do you like least about working in our organization?|
|What do you want to keep the same about your job?||What would you like to change about your job?|
- What do you feel are your specific strengths at work? How can I help you build on those?
- What can I do to best support you?
- What can I do more of (or less of) as your manager, to help you succeed?
- How do you like to be recognized? What kind of recognition would be meaningful to you?
- How can we work together to make your work more meaningful?
- What type of feedback would you like to receive about your performance that you are not receiving now? From me? From coworkers?
- What style of communication and leadership do you respond to best?
- What kind of coaching and guidance would you like from me?
- What skills and talents would you like to contribute every day?
- What new things would you like to learn this year?
- How are we helping you learn and further develop your skills?
- What are your current job and career goals? What can I do to support your goals?
- As your manager, what can I do to help you be more successful and happier at work?
- Is there anything else that is important to you that we did not cover during this meeting?
3. Future Work Situation
- What would you like to work on in the future?
- What would you like to learn?
- What projects might be interesting to you?
- What other departments would you like to learn about, or spend time with?
- Are there other areas in the company that you would want to transfer to, in a “next career move”?
- As you look forward, what will be important to keep you engaged in the future?